The first job after fitting the engine meant changing the order of my plan round, for a very good but rather unexpected reason. Originally I was thinking I would finish off everything in the engine bay before tackling the rear subframe and rear suspension. However I noticed when lifting the car back up to a higher setting on the axel stands that with the engine in place and virtually no weight in the back of the shell, the whole car wasn't actually all that stable, there was a small risk that it could end up toppling forwards! So I brought the rear subframe strip and re-build forwards, literally to balance out the assembly.
I then fitted the brake lines, the mounting brackets with new rubbers and the exhaust mounts before fitting it to the shell. Once in place the back of the car was nicely weighted down so I would be safe to continue my work at the front.
I then fit the Dynamo, as I have mentioned before the car was bought with an Alternator fitted, which was not the original specification for this period of car, so I have bought a new voltage regulator which is already fitted and this is a new dynamo. Then I have made a coil bracket to fit the coil in it's correct location above the Alternator, I did look but it proved impossible to find an original bracket, so mine is as close to original as I can get it, working from some pictures of old engines bays I found on the internet.
It only took longer than expected because I had forgotten just how many components there are in the carbs and they all need to be cleaned and made spotless. Plus of course, being a Mini Cooper there is a pair of them! So I had a happy couple of evenings in the degreasing tank (affectionately named the "Gunge Tank" by my daughter!).
There are some parts that can wear on the SU Mini carbs, the needle and jet are examples. However it’s very difficult to measure, and almost impossible to see needle and jet wear, so I have rebuilt using the original parts and will wait to assess their condition when the engine is running. With a running engine it will be apparent if there is wear (to be honest it was running quite well when I bought it so I don't expect to have an issue). I did however find significant wear on one of the throttle plate spindles, so I sourced a replacement, which came in a kit with new throttle plate screws directly from SU. Its worth passing on that SU are still in business and still sell spare parts in kits for their original products, which for the spindle I needed, was the cheapest I found (SU is actually part of Burlen Fuel Systems now, but they can be found under SU on the web).
Thanks as always, for your time. Before I sign off I should let you know that the car is now advertised on E-bay. My plan is to have it finished by the end of September, so the advert will hopefully create some interest ahead of that. After all, the sooner it sells the sooner I can start the process of looking for the next project! (However for now, this one is getting very exciting!)